I know I have been very remiss about blogging, but that seems to happen every February when our little family gets sick. REALLY don't like that month.
Noah had his tonsils and adenoids removed on Friday, aend I wanted to chronicle his recovery 1) because my cousin's daughter is having this done in the fall, and I promised I would take notes; and 2) in case Alex ever has to have this done, I can refer back here.
The day of surgery was not so bad. Noah was a CHAMP--in fact, they said he was the best kid patient they have ever had. I firmly believe that it is important to be honest with kids when it comes to scary stuff like this. We talked about this surgery ad nauseum, but he knew exactly what to expect, so he was not apprehensive at all. I answered all of his questions honestly.
At home that day, he rested until about 6pm, when he decided he wanted to play Angry Birds. I left him on the couch with Kindle and headed to the kitchen to get him another popsicle....that is when I heard it....THAT noise that we all know...that one little wretching sound that makes you grab the nearest recepticle and launch over anything in your way just to catch what you know is coming: vomit. I dove around the corner to find Noah holding the Kindle in one hand and throwing up in a little bowl in the other. He never even stopped playing Angry Birds!
Coici helped out all day and even ran errands for us so Noah would have everything he could possibly need. She even went and brought us dinner from a local fish fry. When Noah saw what we were having, he slyly snuck up to Coici, batted those beautiful eyes, and said, "Coici, can I have your mac-n-cheese?" Even though she was starving, she let Noah have her dinner. Now THAT is love. He rounded out his dinner with applesauce and chicken nuggets. No joke.
POST OP DAY 1:
Uh....what surgery??? Unreal. That is the ONLY way to describe Noah this day. He had energy, he ate everything in sight, and he just plain wore me out! Ms. Amy and Aunt Katie send care packages for Noah full of nice quiet activities. We DID do some of those, but Noah also played trains, built a fort and even did a few laps around the front yard. UNREAL. By last night he was EXHAUSTED....
We had a ROUGH night last night. I have been keeping Noah on a schedule with pain medicine, which I believe is the KEY to weathering this storrm. Last night, my alarm clock died during the night. SERIOUSLY!!!!???? That thing has been on my nightstand for over three years and LAST NIGHT IT DECIDES TO RUN OUT OF BATTERIES!!! SERIOUSLY!!! I totally overslept one of his doses, and BOY did I pay for that...he was in so much pain and fought me the whole night. KEY POINT 1: STAY ON THE PAIN MED SCHEDULE SO THE PAIN DOES NOT GET AHEAD.
I will report back on how today goes---here we go!!!
1 comment:
Ah yes, the tricky "stay ahead of the pain" curve. Bless your heart! I hope today was better. It's always the curse of the healthy surgical patient who pops back quickly, only to realize they did too much. I remember a little Sara doing laps around the dining room table, hopped up on codeine, only to be crying in Mommy's arms all night. Parenting is hard! Hugs to the Momma.
Post a Comment