...when he has to learn to make peepee in the potty. For Alex, that time is NOW. That's right--he is officially in training--POTTY TRAINING! On Monday, my little boy turned in his Elmo diaper for brand spankin new "big boy" undies (ok...so they have Elmo on them, but still....).
Claire swears by the "cold turkey" approach (straight to underwear....pull ups only for naps and nightime), so I'm willing to go with it (especially since SHE is the one who will be with him the first five days of this little adventure!)
I am afraid to write this, but he has done FABULOUSLY making both #1 and #2 in the potty!!!!! That is not to say that he is accident-free, but he DOES seem to be getting the idea (must find wood to knock on....). My evenings go something like this:
ALEX: "MOMMY!!!! PEE PEE!!!"
MOMMY (hurling pots and pans off the stove and leaping over dogs (and poor litte Noah) in an attempt to get him to the bathroom): "ok...you need to make peepee in the potty...want a story?"
ALEX: "All done" (note...no peeing)
Repeat at least 23 times until....that moment....when he gets "that look" on his face and ACTUALLY goes! Priceless!
Of course poor little Noah just wants to be in on the action, so if I leave the door open, I end up having to pry Noah off of Alex's lap--I've learned to close the door.
I will keep you posted on Alex's progress....and the number of pairs of underwear we go through in a day. So far, that number is 4. But tomorrow is another day.